Pfizer to stop manufacturing operations in Chennai, Aurangabad units



Over 1,700 employees were working in these two facilities


US pharma major Pfizer Inc has decided to shut down its manufacturing units in Irungattukottai, Chennai and Aurangabad, Maharashtra, which came to it through an acquisition of injectables manufacturer Hospira in 2015.

Over 1,700 employees working in these two factories are expected to be impacted by the decision. While the company is shutting down the two facilities, plans are afoot to expand the Vizag manufacturing facility, which also came as part of the acquisition.

Pfizer said that it conducted a thorough evaluation of the Irungattukottai and Aurangabad sites and concluded that due to a significant fall in product demand, manufacturing at these sites is not viable. “As a result, Pfizer is announcing that both the Aurangabad and Irungattukottai sites will immediately cease manufacturing with the intention to exit both sites as soon as possible in 2019. The exact timing of the exit of the sites is to be determined,” said a Pfizer spokesperson.

The Irungattukottai facility currently employs around 1,000 people and Aurangabad site employs around 700. “Our focus is on our colleagues impacted by this decision and we are committed to keeping them informed of the site exit process,” added the company.

The Irungattukottai facility was producing beta-lactam antibiotics while the Aurangabad facility was manufacturing penicillin and penem API during the period. It was coming up with a green field expansion plant in Vizag for speciality injectables then.

The Chennai facility has received several observations from the US Food and Drug Administration (US FDA) in the past, the latest being in July 2018. This was because it was not following quality control norms and lacks data related to laboratory records.

The facility had earlier received observations from the US FDA as part of inspections in 2013 and 2015, according to reports.

The Irungattukottai and Aurangabad sites are purely export-oriented and do not supply products for Pfizer’s India commercial operations.

The decision to close down these facilities will not affect its other Indian manufacturing sites in Goa, Vishakapatnam (Vizag) and the joint venture site, Zydus Hospira Oncology Pvt Ltd (ZHOPL), a collaboration with Cadila Healthcare formed to manufacture injectable cytotoxic drugs in Ahmedabad.

The company announced an expansion to its operations at the Vizag site to bring it up as a global terminally sterilised manufacturing centre of excellence. It will cater to the export markets, such as United States and eventually, to Canada. India will continue to be an important manufacturing location for Pfizer worldwide, said the company.

Comments

  1. I feel very grateful that I read this. It is very helpful and very informative and I really learned a lot from it.
    best blockchain training in noida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    It’s a useful Post! Thank you so much for sharing this knowledgeable post, it was so good to read and useful to improve my knowledge as an updated one, keep blogging.

    Best AWS Corporate Training in Noida

    Best JAVA Training with Job Assistance

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Excellent article. Keep writing such kind of information on your blog. I am really impressed by it. IELTS 8 band preparation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. This is a very well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Oracle certified institutes


    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been following your weblog for a while now and finally got the courage to go
    ahead and give you a shoutout from Dallas Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the great work! I’ve been surfing online greater than 3 hours nowadays, yet I never
    found any fascinating article like yours. It is pretty value sufficient for me.
    Python training in Noida

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you probably did, the web will likely be a lot more useful than ever before. It’s my first visit to this blog, it seems that you are fond of writing since so long because the selection of topics is so nice also the information which you have mentioned here is real and impressive. Really appreciate. I just want to thank you for posting this content I really find it useful. Please keep me posted for more updates. Best Java Training

    ReplyDelete

  7. I think this is a useful post and it is valuable and learned.
    I simply want to tell you that I am new to weblog and definitely liked this blog site.
    Android training institute

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saved as a favorite, I really like your blog! Hola!
    I've been following your weblog for a while now and finally got the courage to go
    ahead and give you a shout out from Dallas Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the great work!
    I’ve been surfing online greater than 3 hours nowadays, yet I never
    found any fascinating article like yours. It is fairly value sufficient for me.
    In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you probably did, the web will likely be a lot more useful than ever before.
    It’s my first visit to this blog, it seems that you are fond of writing since so long because the selection of topics is so nice also the information which you have mentioned here is real and impressive. Really appreciate. Artificial intelligence classes in noida

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's useful. Please keep me posted for more updates.
    Hey, really great stuff! I didn't know much about that topic before reading this.
    I think this is a useful post and it is valuable and learned.
    I simply want to tell you that I am new to weblog and definitely liked this blog site. Very likely I’m going to bookmark your blog . You absolutely have wonderful stories. Cheers for sharing with us your blog.Cloud Computing training in noida


    ReplyDelete
  10. You absolutely have wonderful stories. Cheers for sharing with us your blog. When I am searching for a different sort of information, at that time I found yours blog. Great Information sharing. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info. Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post. Awesome Article. Keep sharing amazing posts on. Node Js classes in noida

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m going to bookmark your blog . You absolutely have wonderful stories. Cheers for sharing with us your blog. When I am searching for a different sort of information, at that time I found yours blog. Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post.
    CCNA certification training

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful to me. I'm happy I found this blog. Thank you for sharing with us, I always learn something new from your post.
    Industrial Networking training course

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been following your weblog for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Dallas Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the great work!
    6 months training

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. Industrial Networking Training

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

China-India joint summit discusses bilateral trade to improve pharma industry

Webinar on ‘OPPORTUNITY TO COMMERCIALIZE HERBAL RESEARCH’